Compounding is the word formation process in which two or more lexemes combine into a single new word. Compound words may be written as one word or as two words joined with a hyphen. For example:
- noun-noun compound: note + book → notebook
- adjective-noun compound: blue + berry → blueberry
- verb-noun compound: work + room → workroom
- noun-verb compound: breast + feed → breastfeed
- verb-verb compound: stir + fry → stir-fry
- adjective-verb compound: high + light → highlight
- verb-preposition compound: break + up → breakup
- preposition-verb compound: out + run → outrun
- adjective-adjective compound: bitter + sweet → bittersweet
- preposition-preposition compound: in + to → into
Compounds may be compositional, meaning that the meaning of the new word is determined by combining the meanings of the parts, or noncompositional, meaning that the meaning of the new word cannot be determined by combining the meanings of the parts. For example, a blueberry is a berry that is blue. However, a breakup is not a relationship that was severed into pieces in an upward direction.
Compound nouns should not be confused with nouns modified by adjectives, verbs, and other nouns. For example, the adjective black of the noun phrase black bird is different from the adjective black of the compound noun blackbird in that black of black bird functions as a noun phrase modifier while the black of blackbird is an inseparable part of the noun: a black bird also refers to any bird that is black in color while a blackbird is a specific type of bird.
The following is an episode list for the Nickelodeonsketch comedy series The Amanda Show. The series premiered on October 16, 1999 and ended on September 21, 2002. Six additional "Best of..." episodes aired after 40 episodes were produced in total. Amanda Bynes and Drake Bell were the only actors to appear in every episode.
Season 1 (1999–2000)
The first season aired from October 16, 1999 to February 19, 2000. The main cast features Amanda Bynes, Drake Bell, Nancy Sullivan, Raquel Lee and Johnny Kassir. Recurring cast includes Andrew Hill Newman and E. E. Bell as Barney, the security guard. Every episode in this season is written by Dan Schneider, Andrew Hill Newman, John Hoberg, Christy Stratton & Jenny Kilgen. It was the only season to feature Raquel Lee and Johnny Kassir as regular cast members. This season was filmed from December 1998 to July 1999.
- In this season, Amanda Bynes goes from 12 to 13.
Season 2 (2000–2001)
The second season aired from July 15, 2000 to April 7, 2001. The main cast features Amanda Bynes, Drake Bell, Nancy Sullivan and newcomer Josh Peck. Recurring cast includes Andrew Hill Newman, E. E. Bell, Danny Bonaduce, Lara Jill Miller, and Lauren Petty, Matthew Botuchis, Molly Orr and Taran Killam of "Moody's Point". Every episode in this season is written by Dan Schneider, Andrew Hill Newman, John Hoberg and Steven Molaro.
- Taped from May 2000 to April 2001.
- In this season, Amanda Bynes goes from 14 to 15.
Season 3 (2002)
The third season aired from January 19, 2002 to September 21, 2002. The cast and writers remain the same as previous season. It was taped from April to December 2001.
- In this season, Amanda Bynes is 15.