Twenty Interesting IB Biology Extended Essay Topics
An extended essay involves great research, dedication, critical thinking and experimentation to be able to test and prove your stance. You need to think of an existing theory or come up with one and find relevant data to prove it.
Choosing a valid topic for your extended assignment in biology can be challenging because you need to base your paper on this. If you choose a topic on human diseases and their behaviors, it will be hard for you to experiment your thoughts and ideas. You are a student with no access or liberty to perform experiments and neither have the necessary resources to do so. Similarly, topics that involve killing of animals to practice your ideas are a fail. You need to think of something that is easily researchable and where you can perform experimentation. The best possible topics will be those that match the requirements from your teacher as well as allow you to perform your experimentation.
When you choose topics for your paper, you need to keep in mind the data you will need to write on such a topic. Finalize that topic for which you can collect data both by primary and secondary research. Below are twenty example topics for an extended essay in biology you can have a good look at them in order to compose your own.
- The process of photosynthesis without sunlight
- Is it possible for plants to behave differently within the same habitat
- What is the effect of change of habitat on touch me not plant
- The safety standards for cow milk storage for selling purposes
- The potential of pain killer and such drugs on harming the human brain
- Why some people eat more and still look skinny
- What is the most important thing plants need for growth
- How does pollination occur in a remote area
- Why plants grow inside water
- What is the difference between aquatic and land plants
- How is the flower produced
- How does pollen tube form
- The effect of weather changes on reproduction in plants
- The success of cross pollination
- How do plants act as a healer
- The effect of global warming on plants
- The types of eucalyptus
- Addictive sugar and cocaine
- The relationship between brain and other parts of body
- Developmental stages of a fetus
Studying the effect of food additives on the digestive system and the body as a whole
A List Of The Most Interesting Extended Essay Topics In Biology
It is impossible to finish your extended essay in biology overnight, so you should start working on your assignment as early as you can. You should compose a topic broad enough so that you will write a paper of a required length. It is also important to ensure that you have all the materials to support your ideas and obtain new results. The following list of the most interesting topics is designed to get you inspired.
Sample Biology Extended Essay Topics
Having a list of sample essay topics is great if you do not know where to start from. The following ideas for your paper are interesting to write about:
- The relationship between genetics and obesity: what type of genes is responsible for obesity issues?
- The influence of abortions on women’s health: potential physical complications and psychological effects.
- The most popular birth control measures: their effectiveness versus effects on future pregnancies.
- The use of viruses and bacteria as a biological weapon: potential threats versus political benefits.
- The most dangerous diseases in the modern society: how to fight them effectively?
- The main causes of phobias: the scientific ways of dealing with them.
- The blood types: how each one is different and why it is important to know your blood type.
- The brain activity: the role of technology in the understanding of how brain cells turn into a tumor.
- The role of nutrients in muscle development: special chemical supplements versus a healthy diet.
- The similarities between human and animal cells: why animals are used to test cosmetics?
- The role of sleep: how much rest do people actually need?
- The factors that influence the aging process: is it possible to slow the aging down?
- Alternative health treatment options: getting some form of relief from different medical conditions.
- Emotions: where they come from and why they are so important.
- Recent climate change: the main ecological responses.
Final Comments and Writing Tips
The aforementioned topics are interesting to study deeply. However, you should prepare an outline before you start writing your essay. It is recommended that you prepare an outline using full sentences and ask your academic advisor to approve it.
You should also consider citing the sources while you are writing. To do so, use the bibliographical features of your word processor or install special software that will also help you compose a list of references.