Bullock Cart Essay Help

The bullock-cart beginnings

Eighty years ago, the stall that the Madras Library Association (MALA) had at the Park Fair Exhibition featured a drawing of a bullock-cart loaded with books and magazines parked in the village square near a temple.

Around it was a crowd of villagers. The Founder-President of MALA, S.R. Ranganathan (SRR), hoped the concept he was promoting, that of a travelling library, would become a reality. But before that happened, he had to take note of what a visitor had to say on seeing the drawing: “Who is the fool who designed this vehicle?”

The ‘fool' introduced himself and asked the visitor what was wrong with his design. Kanakasabhai Pillai, a sub-engineer in government service, was not only pleased to expound on the design, but, struck by Ranganathan's idea of helping improve rural education, offered to design and construct a two-bullock-cart for a travelling library if Ranganathan would stock it suitably for use in his (Pillai's) home-town, Mannargudi, near Tanjore.

This was South Asia's, some say the world's, first mobile library. It was an idea that was to spread throughout the Madras Presidency and catch on in the rest of India.

That same year, 1931, “The Father of Library Science”, as SRR was to become known as, came out with the first of his classics on the subject.

His Five Laws of Library Science expounded on the following: Books are for use (Note: If not used, they are useless); Every reader his book (Note: Every person has the right to information); Every book its reader (Note: Marketing the information to the reader); Save the time of the reader (Note: Make accessibility easy); A library is a growing organism (Note: A library cannot remain static).

1931 was also the year the University of Madras became convinced that it should host the School of Librarianship that SRR had started with MALA in 1929. Today, it is the Department of Library & Information Science.

MALA, South Asia's first librarians' association, was SRR's brainchild, but it was an idea pushed at the All-India Public Library Conference held as one of the supporting events during the 1927 Indian National Congress sessions in Madras. Its staunchest advocates were Sushil Kumar Ghosh of Calcutta, a school teacher, Ayyanki Venkataramanaiah, an Andhra landlord, and K.V. Krishnaswamy Ayyar, that leading lawyer with a finger in every ‘do-gooding' pie in the Madras of the day.

Of their efforts was born MALA on January 28, l930.

....of information science in Madras

‘The Father of Information Science' came to what he became world-renowned for through a bit of serendipity. S.R. Ranganathan was born for Mathematics and it was teaching the subject at the then-elite Presidency College, he led a team of negotiators from the Indian staff seeking an improvement of the emoluments they were getting which were only about 10 per cent of what the British staff was getting.

A disappointed man when the negotiations failed, he was seeking employment in a different field when a colleague pointed out that the University was advertising for a new post, that of a librarian. Not daunted by knowing nothing about librarianship, he applied for the post.

The interview in 1923 led to his appointment from January 1 the next year to a job he had to learn from scratch — yet he was charged with the responsibility of starting from nothing a library fit for a major university. Fortunately, with the post went a training stint in Britain. And there he spent nine months, returning to Madras in July 1925 to get started the library that was to make his international reputation.

During the voyage back from Britain, he set himself goals: To exploit the potential of libraries to educate citizens; To popularise libraries in India and set up a nation-wide library system; To realise library service as mass education instead of the restricted education potential in a college class; To this end, it must be in a building with a proper ambience and kept open long hours every day right through the year; And in such a library, accessibility to its wide variety of offerings must be made easy. The ambience he got when what was, when built, a magnificent library building with special furniture designed by SRR and made at Curzon & Co. (whose specialty became library furniture) was opened in l936, 75 years ago this year.

It was to ensure ease of accessibility to the large holding, for which this modern Indo-Saracenic building was built, that SRR used his mathematical skills to develop the Colon Cataloguing System for which he is best known and which is still followed in many parts of the world. He was so enamoured of this system that he gave all the members of his family — his wife, son, daughter-in-law and three grandchildren — ‘classification numbers'. As for himself, he was always ‘2wl', the 2 being the Colon Classification number for ‘Librarianship”.

SRR's son Yogeshwar in his biography of his father — S.R. Ranganathan — Pragmatic Philosopher of Information Science — states that long before the era of supermarkets his father was using the supermarket approach to stocking a library, promoting the stock and making that stock, the invaluable world of information, easily available.

He was years ahead of what Google felt the world needed.

Resurrecting Pulicat?

Many moons ago, INTACH-Tamil Nadu, now INTACH-Chennai, was requested by the Tamil Nadu Tourism Department and the Cultural Affairs section of The Netherlands Embassy, New Delhi, to take a look at Pulicat and suggest how it could be revived as a Heritage Town and made a tourist destination. INTACH's report, perhaps one of the first in India to look at teaming Heritage Tourism with Eco-Tourism, has since been gathering dust in some bureaucratic pigeon-hole. To judge by a slim book of the coffee-table book variety that landed on my desk recently, there appears to be some interest in the subject again. The Dutch, I understand, are interested in helping with the revival of Pulicat as a Heritage Town if the Tamil Nadu Government decides to take up the project. Meanwhile, to help all concerned to get an idea of the significance of Pulicat, the Dutch commissioned this book which is a brief survey, in word and pictures, of the town as it is today. The book takes an even-briefer look at another former Dutch settlement on the Coromandel Coast, Sadras.

What interested me in the present book is the picture it paints of a Pulicat that has changed from the time I visited it a decade or so ago, at the time INTACH's report was being prepared. Most of the Dutch residences have vanished and the majority of the traditional Hindu and Muslim homes are undergoing modifications.

Preserving many of them and converting them into home-stay accommodation was one of INTACH's recommendations that envisaged getting the locals involved in preserving the historic town. The Our Lady of Glory Church dating to l5l5 is no more; on its ruins, a new church is to rise. The Old Cemetery, with the oldest Tamil tombstone (l758) in the town, is so overgrown, entry is impossible. And, every day, the moat surrounding the mound that was Castle Geldria gets more filled in with growth. The Hindu shrines dating to the Chola period are in ruins and the Samayaeswarar Temple of the same period and the only slightly-newer Adi Narayana Perumal Temple are getting there. The Periya and Chinna Pallivasals of the Muslim settlers from the 8th Century alone are in good shape, their temple-style granite pillars still as handsome as ever.

Pulicat was the chief of Holland's Indian settlements from 1616 to l689 when the Dutch shifted their Indian headquarters to Negapatam. In its heyday, Pulicat, whose major exports were handloom textiles and gunpowder, was considered the left arm of Holland's Asian commerce, and the Moluccas the right, for without exchanging the textiles of the Coromandel for the spices of the East Indies,

The Netherlands' trade would never have flourished, according to economic observers of the 17th Century.

Pulicat's role in all this is what needs to be remembered — and making the narration of that history more easily digestible for visitors are sand dunes, the lake-lagoon, the backwaters, the beaches and the flora and fauna of an area awaiting development as an Eco-Tourism destination.

null
  • Kreta Ayer Road

    Kreta Ayer Road, a one-way road in the heart of Chinatown, connects Neil Road to New Bridge Road. The road is historically ...

  • Sago Lane

    Sago Lane is a one-way road in Chinatown connecting South Bridge Road to Banda Street. It was named for the many sago ...

  • Spring Street

    Spring Street, a one-way road in Chinatown, connects the junction of South Bridge Road and Neil Road to Banda Street. ...

  • McNair Road

    McNair Road is a short stretch of road that lies adjacent to Towner Road, and is accessible via Balestier Road and Serangoon ...

  • Trams

    Launched in the 1880s, trams were one of the earliest modes of public transportation in Singapore. Both steam and electric ...

  • Karikal Lane

    Karikal Lane refers to two short stretches of road, one off East Coast Road and the other branching off the first.

  • Chinese street storytellers

    Chinese street storytelling was a popular form of entertainment in Singapore during the colonial period and up till ...

  • Duxton Road

    Duxton Road is a one-way street that connects Neil Road to Craig Road. Situated on Duxton Hill, this road was infamous ...

  • Temple Street

    Temple Street is a one-way street connecting South Bridge Road to New Bridge Road. Situated in the heart of Chinatown, ...

  • Keong Saik Road

    Located in Chinatown, Keong Saik Road connects New Bridge Road to Neil Road. It was named after Tan Keong Saik, a prominent ...

  • Chin Chew Street

    Chin Chew Street, in Chinatown, connects South Bridge Road and China Street. An Indian residential area in the 1820s, ...

  • Albert Street

    Albert Street, located in the Rochor area, begins from the junction of Queen Street and New Bugis Street and ends at ...

  • Sago Street

    Sago Street is a one-way road that connects South Bridge Road to Trengganu Street. The street name was derived from ...

  • Adelphi Hotel

    Some of the earliest mentions of Adelphi Hotel can be found in newspaper advertisements published in 1850. The proprietor ...

  • Liang Seah Street

    Liang Seah Street, located in the Civic District, links North Bridge Road with Beach Road. Built in the old European ...

  • Short Street

    Short Street begins at the junction where it meets Middle Road, Selegie Road and Wilkie Road. It connects Selegie Road ...

  • Ann Siang Road

    Ann Siang Road in Chinatown begins from a road known as Ann Siang Hill and connects to Kadayanallur Street. It is named ...

  • Keppel Road

    Keppel Road is located in the Tanjong Pagar sub-zone of the Bukit Merah Planning Area within Singapore’s Central Region. ...

  • Telok Kurau Road

    Telok Kurau Road connects Changi Road to Marine Parade Road. Named after a fishing village called Telok Kurau on East ...

  • Pulau Meskol

    Pulau Meskol was a small island of 6.1 ha in a cluster of islands lying south of Jurong on the Singapore mainland. It ...

  • Kampong Java Road

    Kampong Java Road connects Bukit Timah Road to Newton Circus.

  • Banda Street

    Banda Street is a one-way road in Chinatown connecting Sago Street to Dickenson Hill Road. It was probably named after ...

  • Anson Road

    Anson Road is located in the Tanjong Pagar area and begins near a carpark around Keppel Road, then bifurcates into two ...

  • Malacca Street

    Built before 1836, Malacca Street, which connects D’Almeida Street to Market Street, is one of the older streets of ...

  • Selegie Road

    Selegie Road is a continuation of Dhoby Ghaut that joins Serangoon Road. Selegie in Malay refers to a wooden spear sharpened ...

  • Straits Chinese Recreation Club

    Founded in January 1885, the Straits Chinese Recreation Club (SCRC; renamed Singapore Chinese Recreation Club in 1947) ...

  • Coleman Bridge

    Coleman Bridge spans the Singapore River and links Hill Street with New Bridge Road. It is named after the designer ...

  • Yan Kit Road

    Yan Kit Road in Tanjong Pagar is a one-way street connecting Craig Road to Cantonment Road. It was named after a well-known ...

  • Read Bridge

    Read Bridge is a beam structured bridge that straddles the central part of the Singapore River. The bridge was officially ...

  • Newton Circus

    The 22.3-hectare Newton Circus is one of the six subzones in the Newton planning area, a prime residential district ...

  • Lim Chong Pang

    Lim Chong Pang (b. 6 June 1904, Singapore d. 21 July 1956, Singapore) was a prominent businessman and long-time member ...

  • Boon Tat Street

    Boon Tat Street is a one-way street located in the Central Business District (CBD). It connects Amoy Street to the junction ...

  • Hokien Street

    Hokien Street (sometimes spelt “Hokkien Street”) is a one-way street connecting China Street to South Bridge Road. After ...

  • Gretchen Liu

    Gretchen Liu, née Gretchen Gustafson (b. 1951, Minnesota, United States–), is a journalist and author of books on local ...

  • Nankin Street

    Nankin Street, a one-way street in Chinatown, connects South Bridge Road to China Street. Named after the city of Nanking ...

  • Lavender Street

    Lavender Street connects the junction of Balestier Road and Serangoon Road to the junction of Kallang Road and Crawford ...

  • Amoy Street

    Amoy Street in Chinatown begins at the junction of McCallum Street, and Telok Ayer Street and ends at Pekin Street. ...

  • New Bridge Road

    New Bridge Road is a one-way street that begins from the Coleman Bridge on the south of the Singapore River and ends ...

  • Pagoda Street

    Located in Chinatown, Pagoda Street runs parallel to Mosque Street and Temple Street. Together with Trengganu Street, ...

  • Still Road

    Still Road connects Changi Road and East Coast Road. After its junction with East Coast Road, Still Road continues as ...

  • Fort Road

    Fort Road, in the eastern part of Singapore connects Mountbatten Road to the East Coast Parkway, and connects to this ...

  • Bencoolen Street

    Bengkulu, on the coast of West Sumatra, was renamed Bencoolen by the British in 1685.

  • Tras Street

    Tras Street runs between Enggor Street and Cook Street. A portion of the street, from its junction with Wallich Street ...

  • Haig Road

    Haig Road connects Geylang Road and East Coast Road. The road is named after Douglas Haig, 1st Earl Bemersyde, the commander-in-chief ...

  • Dunlop Street

    Believed to be named after Colonel Samuel Dunlop, Dunlop Street in Little India is a one-way road connecting Jalan Besar ...

  • Kranji Road

    Kranji Road is a two-way road that begins at the junction of Woodlands Road and Turf Club Avenue, and ends near Kranji ...

  • Parsi Cemetery

    The Parsi (also spelt “Parsee”) burial ground was established at Mount Palmer in Tanjong Pagar in 1828. It came under ...

  • Nicoll Highway

    Nicoll Highway stretches westward from Mountbatten Road across the mouth of Kallang River over Merdeka Bridge down to ...

  • Charles Burton Buckley

    Charles Burton Buckley (b. 30 January 1844, London, England–d. 22 May 1912, London, England) was a prominent resident ...

  • Havelock Road

    Havelock Road is a street located in the Central Region of Singapore. It starts where Kim Seng Road meets Outram Road, ...

  • Bullock carts

    Bullock carts were one of the earliest and most popular modes of transport in 19th- and early-20th-century Singapore. ...

  • 0 Thoughts to “Bullock Cart Essay Help

    Leave a comment

    L'indirizzo email non verrà pubblicato. I campi obbligatori sono contrassegnati *